We created this recipe for Plant-Based Bushwick, a festival in Brooklyn, celebrating everything vegan and eco-friendly. Initially, the plan was to do a plant- based churros cupcake adaptation, inspired by this picture, but after the creative juices began to flow, it eventually transformed into a churros waffle. This recipe is still in development but we’ve had so much excitement around it that we decided to share it now.
At the festival, we finished it with the traditional cinnamon and sugar mixture and also a cocoa and chilli pepper dust. Both versions were a hit!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk, room temp
- 1 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 2 flax eggs
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon Finishing Dust
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
Spicy Cocoa Finishing Dust
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp of chilli powder
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine room temperature almond milk, apple sauce, flax eggs, and vanilla. Next, mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and stir batter until smooth. Let batter rest for 10 mins.
- Turn on waffle iron to heat. Make sure it is hot before adding the battle otherwise the waffles will not rise properly.
- Ladle about 2oz of batter into each quadrant of the waffle iron; close and cook for about 5-10 minutes. Repeat until batter is finished.
- Add sugar and cinnamon (or cocoa, sugar and chilli powder) to a ziplock storage bag. Break waffles into quarters, drop them into bag and shake for about 20 seconds.
- Remove waffles from bag and enjoy!
Recipe Inspired and Adapted by 12 Tomatoes.