This morning we had a 9am planning meeting so I decided to make some biscuits to go with the berry preserves we made.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cold applesauce
- 1 1/4 cup super cold almond milk
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a medium-size bowl.
- Mix together milk and applesauce in a small-size bowl. Make sure the milk and applesauce are really cold.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly pour the milk into the well. Mix with a spatula or hands until just combined. The dough will be a bit sticky but still pliable. Don’t overmix the dough or biscuits will be tough. Add additional flour if dough is too sticky.
- Flour your hands and dust the countertop with flour. Pat the dough out and cut out 8 biscuits (using a lightly floured cookie cutter or the rim of a glass).
- Transfer the biscuits to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until fluffy and slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before transferring to a plate.
Note: We made two biscuits with the left over dough and stuffed them with currants.