So we decided to organize the cabinets and we found a can of pumpkin. Though it was out of season, we make a pumpkin bread. This recipe is not too sweet and can be used as a light evening dessert, for a tea party or as a breakfast item.
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup flaxseed
- 2 cups of date paste
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp clove
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (15oz) can organic plain pumpkin
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prep two- loaf pans with parchment paper or one seasoned bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a medium bowl, carefully whisk together pumpkin puree, date paste, applesauce, molasses, and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold all of the ingredients together. Make sure to mix well and get rid of any flour pockets at the bottom of the bowl. Add the chopped walnuts and raisins.
- Divide the dough between the two greased loaf pans or pour all into the bundt pan. Bake for 1hr to 1hr and 15 mins, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Let rest in the pans for 30 minutes, then flip onto cooling rack or surface.
- This can be enjoyed warm or room temperature.
Served with a little coconut cream and cinnamon.