Apple picking season is in full effect and though these apples came from my local Target, I still managed to create some yummy goodness in my underused crockpot.
I have fond memories of eating apple butter as a kid on toast and last season when I paid over $6 to get a jar that didn’t have any extra ingredients, I decided to figure out how to make it myself.
- 10 apples
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- zest of 1/2 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Rinse apples and chop apples into chunks removing the core and seeds but not the skin.
- Place the chopped apples into the crockpot.
- Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, and lime zest.
- Stir and turn crockpot to the low setting.
- In about 8 hours, the apples should have broken down and turned turn.
- At this time use a hand blender to break down and additional skins and cook on high for another hour.
- Finally, stir in the juice from the lime. Add more cinnamon if you’d like.
Stored in a jar more than likely eaten on toast!